The Story of My Hair

I have gone through many stages over the years, in terms of my hair. I've always had really thick, curly hair since I was little. And of course, I never used to care what my hair looked like when I was little.
Me and my brother


 It was only until I reached high school that the way my hair looked mattered. In the first half of year seven, my hair was awful. And I mean awful. It was a bushy triangle, that I would sometimes scape back into a bushy triangle pony tail. It makes me cringe just thinking about it.
My hair's triangleness.
It was about then that I was introduced to the miracle of hair straightners. The first time I had my hair straightend (courtesy of my godmother's friend, using wide plate GHD's) it took over TWO HOURS. Yes, I sat there patiently, trying not to squirm (which in the end I did and I got a burnt ear to show for it!), absolutely DYING to see what my hair looked like. When I was allowed to look, I was converted. My hair was so silky, so soft, so non triangular. I needed straightners in my possession NOW. This was the beginning of my growing straightner graveyard - because my hair was so thick and unruly, the straightners would break within about 6 months. Of course, I only used to buy the fairly cheap ones, or ones on sale, however when the sixth pair broke, my mum said that I could splurge on a pair of GHD's. The Holy Grail of straightners, the ones that opened up my world to good hair days. I still have them now, and they still work perfectly, so if you ever want straightners and you have hair like mine, don't buy the cheap ones, go for the expensive ones, because they'll work out cheaper in the long run!

Anyway, for years at high school, I straightened my hair every day. If it was not perfectly straight, I wouldn't leave the house, so I used to get up at 6am EVERY DAY, just to straighten my hair. I did not have a shower in the morning, all I did was straighten my hair. And it used to take forever, so it was true dedication to poker straightness! This picture was taken in about year 8. My hair was quite short then, and I had a sweeping fringe thing.

And this hairstyle I kept till I was in year 11! As you can see, the only thing that's changed is the length!



It wasn't until I went to college that I decided that I actually did want to try dying my hair. Before, my mum had never allowed me to dye my hair, because she thought it was already a nice colour to begin with. My original hair colour is brown, with a red tint that shows up in the sunlight and blonde streaks around my face in the summer. But after seventeen years, I was bored of it. So, whilst in Florida in July 2010, I picked up two hair colours - Garnier's Bright Auburn and Revlon's Coloursilk in Bright Auburn. It was due to Doe Deere that I decided to dye my hair red, though I've always had a love of red hair. This picture is taken whist I was in Newcastle, at the university open day in summer 2010. As you can see, my hair is rather ginger and quite short, with a side fringe. This was after I had used both American hair dyes.

Taken 3rd August 2010

In fact, it was at college that I became a lot more experimental with my hair. I was tired with it being just the average girl's haircut of a side fringe and layers, so the next time I went to the hairdressers, I asked for a full, blunt fringe! I loved it.
Taken 9th October 2010
However, due to being super lazy, it eventually grew out. Then, I dyed my hair red. It was quite scary actually, especially walking into college for the first time, because no one knew that I had done it! But I'm so glad I did it! I got loads of compliments in college hehe. This was taken on New Years Eve.

Now, its quite long. The red has faded, but its still there, just tinting my hair, and I love it almost as much as the bright red. I've grown my fringe out and have stopped using straightners/curlers except for special occasions i.e. when I can be bothered!! Haha! My hair has always been in good condition, however now I thinks its at one of the best states it's ever been in. When I shower, I shampoo and condition my hair, though I try and wash it only once every two days, because I think it needs a bit of natural oil in it, and when I wash it every day it starts feeling funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment